Sterilization in wine & beverage production
Pasteurization/sterilization unit operation in soft drink process depends on the type of final product and packaging:
- Carbonated drinks with preservatives, which require pasteurization of canned product in case of energy drinks, because of the high contain of proteins
- Carbonated drinks without preservatives, which require pasteurization of simple syrup (PET packages) or pasteurization in tunnels after filling (glass and cans)
- Still drinks without preservatives (aseptic products), which require pasteurization of the product (PET packages) or pasteurization in tunnels after filling. Nowadays still drinks with preservatives do not represent a significative share in soft drinks sector.
Depending on the packaging material, pasterization/sterilization can vary, for example, PET cannot resist high temperatures, and therefore, pasteurization can not be applied after filling. Then, if also sterilisation of packaging is required because of the type of product to be filled (still and carbonated soft drinks without preservatives), steam or peroxide solutions must be used. In case of glass and cans, pasteurization is carried out in tunnels after filling.
- Soft drinks
- Some wines are also pasterized
- European Commission, 2006. BREF Reference document on Best Available Techniques in the Food, Drink and Milk industries